Sunday 28 August 2011

The Trip to the Midlands

I know, I know. It’s been over a week since my last blog entry. “What have you been doing all this time?” is probably the question you are desperate to ask.

Well, nothing much really. I say nothing much, but I guess that would do a disservice to my week. I guess I have been busy. I went to the pub with my friends, I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes (a very good film), we came second in the pub quiz (we changed our team name!) and my friend Philip and I began our YouTube venture but nothing happened that was really worth sharing. There was no standout moment.

So, it’s probably best that I tell you, my dear reader, that I spent the weekend in the Midlands. Dorridge to be precise but I’d be fairly confident that you won’t have heard of it. Not because you are geographically illiterate, oh no, more because it is a tiny, tiny town. So tiny, that even the local citizens are all dwarfs.

I’m kidding about the dwarf thing. Every citizen in Dorridge is in fact an OAP though.

I wasn’t in this tiny, OAP town because I was there with my Mum and Dad to visit my Grandma. She lives in a bungalow. As a person who lives in a house that has stairs, it is quite a treat to stay somewhere where if I want to go to bed, I don’t need to climb some stairs.

Despite the fact we had a three hour journey there, the traffic was terrible, we didn’t exactly do very much. However, it was nice and relaxing. We went to the pub a few times, we had fish and chips from the local chippy, we went to a nice restaurant for Saturday lunch, we visited an odd garden centre and we drank a lot of tea. It was relaxing.

Despite this, I had to sleep in the same room as my Dad. He is a pain. He snores, he seems to wake up every 5 minutes, he constantly fidgets and worst of all, he woke up and bemoaned the noise of the cat trying to get around the house.

We drove home, relatively traffic free and we are now settling down to watch The Da Vinci Code. To think I woke up 150 miles away from home and I’m now watching a film made in Hollywood, which is a place thousands of miles away that I can at this point only dream about. I think that shows how random and varied life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment